In December of 2015, 11 year old Elsa Law of Moorestown, New Jersey, decided to do something special for both her sister Julianna, and the National Down Syndrome Congress; rather than receiving presents for her upcoming birthday, she would ask family and friends to make a donation to the NDSC. A few months earlier, Elsa had attended our Phoenix convention with her family, and participated in her first Brothers and Sisters Conference. Elsa liked her experience so much, it moved her to become a community fundraiser.
Please read Elsa’s story in her local newspaper below:
“Be An Elsa”!
Community Fundraising and grassroots efforts add up! If the NDSC had hundreds of “Elsas” across the globe, just imagine how many more people we could reach with programs and resources!
“Be An Elsa” is our new “call to action” for individuals, organizations, schools and communities! Whether you are one person, or a group of people, you can help the National Down Syndrome Congress.
How Can You Become “An Elsa”?
- Are you a Runner? Hop onto GoFundMe and set up a way to have friends and family support you in local runs, marathons and half marathons! Post your page on your social media, send it to friends via email, and tell them about the NDSC, and share your message. You can also choose a local running event, gather a team, and everyone can build a fundraising page, or build a team page!
- Are you a member of a community organization such as Rotary, Jaycees, or another local group? Gather together during the year, or at the holidays, and host an event to help raise money for the NDSC!
- As an individual be creative, gather your family, co-workers, friends and the community to host your own fundraiser!
- Shop NDSC at the holidays and year-round! Share our link with friends and family for their group holiday giving, and choose a gift from our year-round merchandise line for your shopping needs.
- Share our Year-End Giving link with everyone you know!! From October – December, the NDSC embarks on an annual Year-End Giving Program. This is one of our largest sources of funds each year. Contact your local newspaper, tell your story (and ours), and ask for participation to support the National Down Syndrome Congress. Also, look for our messages and links during the Campaign, and share them on your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media outlets, and ask that your friends, family and co-workers consider us in their year-end giving plans. The NDSC will be happy to share materials with you for this endeavor!
For More Information on becoming “an Elsa”, for support, or to share your ideas, contact Kathy Edwards at 404-242-3640 or email her at Kathy@ndsccenter.org
We will post your event, share your photos, and provide you materials for your “Elsa” endeavor!