What should I consider when I plan my trip?
Whether you are a first-timer or a veteran attendee, this travel information will help you plan your trip to the Convention. Getting to the Convention can be costly so be sure to check out the travel discounts especially for NDSC attendees. The Convention Schedule is a good place to start in gaining an understanding of timing of all events for the convention. All food and beverage is the responsibility of the convention attendee so please review the dining options when making your plans and budgeting your trip.
The 2017 Convention headquarters will take place at the Sacramento Convention Center.
All General Convention programming will be held at Sacramento Convention Center.
All Youth & Adults Conference programming will be held at the Sacramento Convention Center.
All Brothers & Sister Conference programming will be held at the Hyatt Regency Sacramento.
All Kids’ Camp programming will be held at the Sacramento Convention Center.
The DSMIG Symposium will be held at the Sheraton Grande Sacramento Hotel.
Visit Sacramento for information about dining, entertainment and travel discounts.
- Hotel Information
The NDSC rate varies at each hotel and will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis. The convention rate is valid from July 15 – July 27 based on hotel availability. The convention rate expires on June 26. Each reservation requires a one-night deposit. The deadline to cancel a reservation is June 26. Reservations cancelled after June 26 will forfeit their deposit.
All three hotels are within walking distance to the Sacramento Convention Center (SCC) which will holds all of the convention meeting space. The only programming not at the SCC is the Brothers & Sisters Conference which will be meeting at the Hyatt Regency. The DSMIG Symposium will be meeting at the Sheraton Grand.
Which hotel is best for my family?
Reference the 2017 NDSC Convention Hotels Guide
Convention Center Hotels*
- *These hotel links are not the NDSC reservation block. Hotel reservation links are acquired via your convention registration email confirmation. Currently, the NDSC block for all three hotels is full. Your registration confirmation will include a link to our hotel waitlist.
- Dining Options
Dining Near the Convention Center
Visit Sacramento Badge Program provides a map and discounts to area dining.
Dining in Sacramento has more information on featured restaurants in Sacamento.Sacramento Dining List
Sapphire Celebration Dinner
On Saturday evening, July 22 the NDSC will host its 45th Anniversary Sapphire Celebration. This is a ticketed event, which includes a plated dinner and ambient entertainment throughout the evening. A ticket is required for attendance and must be purchased during registration. Adult tickets cost $45; Children 12 and under cost $20. Tickets will not be sold on-site. The traditional awards program has been moved to a private ceremony earlier in the convention. Entertainment including live performances from our talented self-advocates and other surprises are planned for the Sapphire Celebration. Dress to impress.Sapphire Celebration Details and Menu
The registration option for Meal Plan will NOT be available for the convention in 2017. Grab n’ Go kiosks will be made available in the exhibit hall Friday and Saturday during lunchtime.
- Travel Information and Discounts
The Sacramento Convention Center is approximately 15 minutes from the Sacramento International Airport. It is also approximately 90 miles from San Francisco and Oakland Airports. The convention venue nor the convention hotels provide an airport shuttle.
SuperShuttle Airport Ground Transportation: SuperShuttle airport transfer discounts have been obtained for NDSC convention attendees. Discounted prices range from $15 to $50 one way depending on type and number of passengers.
Airport Ground Transportation information including taxis, public transportation, rental vehichles and executive services.
Avis Rental Car is pleased to provide a convention discount to NDSC families. The AWD code is J944711, or call (800)331-1600 or book online at avis.com.
Delta is please to provide a discount to convention attendees. Reservations and ticketing is available via www.delta.com/meetings or by calling the Delta Meeting Network Reservations at 800-328-1111. When booking online at www.delta.com/meetings, select ‘Book Your Flight’ and enter the Meeting Code NMQ52 in the box provided.
Downtown Parking Near SCC
- Hyatt Parking: Overnight Guests (in/out privileges)
Self-Parking | $20.00
Valet Parking | $29.00
Sheraton Parking: Overnight Guests (in/out privileges)
Self-Parking | $20.00
Valet Parking | $32.00
Residence Inn Parking: Overnight Guests (in/out privileges)
Self-Parking | $20.00
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Is childcare provided during the convention?Due to insurance provisions, the NDSC does not provide childcare during the convention.
- What should I do with my kids while I attend the convention?Kids’ Camp is available for children with Down syndrome from the ages of six months to 14 years old and their siblings ages six months to rising 3rd graders (Rising 4th graders may register for the Brothers & Sisters Conference.) There are 5 separate camp sessions offered during the convention. The cost for each session is $40 per child. There is a 10% discount for families registering multiple children.
- Are children allowed in the workshops?While it is not ideal or recommended, children are permitted into workshops. Parents who attend with their small children are asked to be respectful of the audience by keeping noise and distractions to a minimum. Also in workshops where space is limited, children must sit on their parents lap or on the floor to allow registered attendees a seat.
- Can relatives coming to help with child care attend the convention?Yes, if they register to attend the convention.
- Is there something planned for my self-advocate while I attend a pre-conference?The Youth and Adults Conference does not begin until late afternoon; however, the Friendship Club Open House is held from 9-12 and 1-2:30 on Friday. This is an opportunity for individuals with DS ages 15 and up to stop by and meet new friends. This is not a volunteer-supported event so individuals with high support needs must be accompanied by an adult.
- Can I bring my baby to the banquet?Yes. If your baby will require a highchair, seat or space at the table then you must purchase a child ticket.
- What is the dress code for the banquet?Actually, there’s not one. Some attendees will come in suits and dresses, while others prefer something a bit more casual, such as slacks for men and sun dresses for women.
- Can I bring my whole family to the dance on Friday night?All registered attendees are invited to the dance and opening reception.
- Why can't my very mature 14-year-old attend the Y&A conference?The minimum age to participate in the Y& A Conference is 15. From past experience, we have found this to be the cut off that allows the most attendees to benefit from our program.
- Why can't we register our self-advocate for the Y&A conference onsite?Registration is not accepted onsite for the Youth & Adults Conference due to the extensive planning required to support the needs of each individual attendee.
- Can I register for the Brothers and Sisters conference at the convention?No, due to space, logistics and the off-site trip all attendees must register prior to the deadline.
- Can you make an exception for my 3rd grader to attend the B&S Conference?No, the minimum grade level to attend the B & S Conference is students entering the 4th grade. From past experience, we have found this to be the cut off that allows the most attendees to benefit from our program.
- Why are the Friday pre-conference sessions not included in the general registration?There are additional costs to bring in the high level speakers for a 4.5 hour session. Those additional costs are not absorbed by the general registration fee; therefore, an additional charge is applied to only the individuals interested in participating.
- How can I get copies of the information presented in the pre-conference sessions?Only those registered for the pre-conference session are eligible to receive the handouts.
- Can I attend more than one pre-conference?No, all pre-conferences take place at the same time; therefore, you can only register for one session.
- I want to attend 2 pre-conferences. How do I decide?A description of the pre-conference sessions, as well as the biography for each presenter, is available on the NDSC website to help you decide which pre-conference is the best for you.
- Can I switch pre-conferences after I have registered?Yes, you can switch to another pre-conference session as long as it is prior to the registration deadline and there is space available. Changes are not permitted after the registration deadline or onsite.
- Are the pre-conference sessions included in the conference recordings? No. Why not? Pre-conferences require separate registration; therefore, all materials and recordings are the sole benefit of attending.
- What time should I arrive on Friday if I am not attending a pre-conference?We recommend arriving before or around noon so you will be able to register, explore the exhibit floor, take in a Sharing Session and eat dinner prior to the Opening General Session.
- Can I buy a banquet ticket during the convention?No. Tickets must be purchased before the registration deadline to accommodate the banquet management deadline.
- When will I get access to the conference recordings?Conference recordings will be available to view approximately two weeks after the convention.
- Can speakers see or evaluate my child?Families interested in professional evaluations and therapeutic services should make arrangements directly with the professional prior to or after the conference.
- How can I get CEU credits?The NDSC provides a packet of materials that you can submit to your local accrediting organization. These packets are available at the NDSC table in the registration area.
- Can we register as a group?No.
- Do I have to pay membership dues if I am already a member of my local DSA?Yes. The NDSC and your local affiliate are separate organizations and require separate membership dues.
- Is childcare provided during the convention?