The 45th Annual NDSC Convention will take place July 20-23, 2017 in Sacramento, California.
Online registration and the hotel block will open April 10, 2017 at 12 noon EDT.
- Registration is set up for individuals or for families living at the same address.
- Non-family groups should register individually, each with a separate registration.
- NDSC membership is required to register and will be added to your registration if not current.
- Young children do not need to be registered unless they are specifically attending Y&A, B&S or Kids’ Camp.
- NDSC refund policy:
- Registration fees are non-refundable after June 29.
- A $50 processing fee will be deducted from all requests for refund of registration fees prior to the refund deadline.
- Read Before You Register
We feel the excitement building as April 10th approaches and families can finally register for the 2017 NDSC Annual Convention! We also know families are anxious to make hotel reservations. As was the case last year, convention registration is required before families can reserve their rooms. We strongly recommend reading over the following information NOW, so that on April 10th you are informed and prepared to complete your family’s registration.
First – do you have your username (account holder email) and password handy from last year to login into the registration system? If you are a first-time attendee, you’ll need to create an account before you get started. You might also want to watch this online tutorial about the registration process. The system has been made “mobile-ready” this year, so you can register from your tablet or smartphone, as well as a computer.
Next – Once you are logged into the system, you can begin registering each member of your family for whichever program they are attending. Remember you will have to “add a person” for EACH person you are registering.
It’s best to start with anyone who is attending the general convention. This means anyone in your immediate family wanting to attend workshops, receptions, sharing sessions, exhibitors and the film festival too! After you get each person registered for the general convention, you’ll want to consider selecting a pre-conference session to attend. These sessions are an additional fee and have to be pre-selected when you register. Pre-conferences are amazing opportunities to dive deeper into one topic presented by world-renowned experts.
Once you have all of the general convention attendees registered and pre-cons selected, you can move on to the other conferences: Youth & Adults, Brothers & Sisters and Kids’ Camp.
The Youth & Adults Conference is for self-advocates with Down syndrome, ages 15 and up. In order to provide appropriate support for those attending, there are a number of questions that need to be answered during registration. You will also be asked to select your self-advocate’s programming choice for Sunday. Sunday is the always-popular talent show; however, there are specialized workshops offered during that time for those who prefer not to watch the show or participate in it. We strongly recommend discussing these choices with your self-advocate before you register. Click here for the list of questions asked during registration as well as the Sunday programming options. If your self-advocate is bringing a volunteer to support them throughout the conference weekend, make sure that volunteer registers as a 3-day Y&A volunteer and indicates the self-advocate they are supporting.
The Brothers & Sisters Conference is for rising 4th grade thru 12th grade siblings. The conference is led by college-aged siblings and provides a variety of activities and learning throughout the weekend. Programming for this conference will take place at the Hyatt Regency Hotel. Siblings will go off-site on Sunday to a Sacramento-area attraction. You’ll need to know your child’s t-shirt size when registering.
Kids’ Camp was created for children 6 months to 10 years without DS and up to 14 years with DS. It is broken into 5 separate sessions. You must select and register for each session you want for each child. Some families like to review the workshop schedule prior to selecting Kids’ Camp sessions (keep in mind, this schedule is subject to change). We recommend reviewing the Kids’ Camp FAQ’s and other information about this program. You’ll also need to provide your child’s t-shirt size when registering.
Now that you have your whole family registered for one conference or another. You’ll want to consider some the following convention options.
- Compendium Format – Flash Drive is complimentary; Paper Copy can be purchased
- Sapphire Celebration – Tickets will NOT be sold on-site
- African-American Lunch and Learn – Pre-registration is required
- Conference Recordings – Online access to the recordings is complimentary with each registration; other formats can be purchased
- Convention T-shirt – $15 in advance; $18 on-site (limited availability)
- Simultaneous Interpretation in Spanish – Pre-registration required for headsets
You can read more in-depth on “all things convention” on our website!
Thank you for your interest in our giant family reunion, we look forward to seeing you in July!
- REGISTER for the Convention
Review how to register for the convention by viewing this short tutorial – How to Register
To register for the convention, an account (username and password) must be established within our convention registration system. This is not the same as completing a membership form. If you have not attended the convention previously, you should click on New User? Sign up Here? on the log in page to first establish your account.
- Establishing an account will allow the account holder to leave the registration process before payment is made and return at a later time to complete registration, if necessary.
- Only one account holder is needed per individual or family registration.
- The account holder does not necessarily have to register for the convention, but is responsible for payment.
- One adult must register for the convention in order to register children for Kids’ Camp.
- You may log out at anytime, and the system will save your current selections. You may log back in at a later time to make changes and complete your registration with payment.
- Online registration requires payment by credit card.
- If you wish to use another form of payment, please complete your registration online up to the point you must enter a credit card. Then, please log out and contact the NDSC office for further instructions.
- After making payment, your registration will be complete and you will NOT be able to make any changes yourself.
- After completing registration, you may view your paid registration selections at any time.
- Convention Fees, Schedule and Other Resources
- 2017 Registration Fees 2017 Convention Schedule 2017 Convention Brochure Workshop Schedule Workshop Descriptions Souvenir Journal Messaging
- Conference Workshop Recordings
- About Workshop Recordings
- Each year NDSC records a selection of general convention workshops and plenary sessions.
- Recordings are audio synced to the presenters’ PowerPoint, if one is used.
- Not all workshops are recorded. A list of recorded sessions for each convention year can be found on our website.
- in 2017 All recordings will be streamed for NDSC through a site hosted by Playback, Inc.
- Conference Media,Inc. is currently hosts recordings from convention years 2015 and 2016.
- Purchasing Access to Recordings
- Recordings are packaged by convention year.
- Online Access to the 2017 conference recordings are included in your convention registration. One access account for the account holder.
- For 2017, purchase of a Season Pass or USB Works will be an option during registration and at an increased cost post convention.
- Accessing the Recordings
- For 2016 recordings, a Conference Media user id and password was established and sent to each registered account holder.
- For 2017 recordings, a Playback Now user id and password will be established and sent to each registered account holder.
- 2016 Recordings are accessed by logging into www.conferencemedia.net/ndsc with the user id/password.
- 2017 Recording access site link is TBD
For questions please contact Jean@NDSCcenter.org
- Recorded Convention Workshops
- About Workshop Recordings
- Educator Conference
On Friday, July 21st, 2017, the NDSC is hosting a conference for educators.
Effective Practice for Students with Down Syndrome: Tools for Today’s Classroom
Join the NDSC and world-renowned speakers for this special session for educators working to enhance outcomes for their students with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities, as well as autism. This educator-focused conference will engage participants in identifying and implementing strategies applicable to classrooms from kindergarten through 12th grades. Discussions will include ways to further include students in the general education classroom through effective literacy interventions, differentiated curriculum, technology, and behavioral practices.
For more details go to Educator’s Conference
- Research & Medical Care Roundtable
RESEARCH & MEDICAL CARE ROUNDTABLE:
What parents, self-advocates & caregivers should know
Thursday, July 20, 2017
1:00 pm-5:00 pm
Sacramento Convention Center
Click here to register
Lunch and seating are limited.
You must complete a separate registration to attend.
You will need your NDSC convention registration number to complete registration.
Thank you to our convention sponsors!
Club 21 Learning and Resource Center
Dreamers Merchants Coffee Company
Down Syndrome Affiliates in Action
Down Syndrome Association of Memphis and the Mid-south
Down Syndrome Association of Minnesota
Down Syndrome Connection of the Bay Area
Down Syndrome Diagnosis Network
Down Syndrome Information Alliance
Lumind Research Down Syndrome Foundation
National Catholic Board on Full Inclusion
Silicon Valley Down Syndrome Network
Stand Up for Downs
The Brighterside of Down Syndrome of San Joaquin County