Austin Steele Davenport – Dallas, TX
If you would like to contact this speaker, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The NDSC is posting this list of self-advocate speakers for informational purposes only. We will forward your contact request to the speaker so they may follow up with you directly.
After attaining the rank of Eagle Scout, Austin Davenport graduated in 1998 from Lake Highlands High School in Richardson Independent School District in Dallas, Texas where he was active in theater, choir, as well as visual arts. He attended Richland College, also in Dallas, where he continued his study of theater. Austin has performed in over twenty plays in the area. He has spoken encouragement as a self-advocate to many groups around the country and has served on the Boards of the National Down Syndrome Congress and the Down Syndrome Guild of Dallas. He currently serves on the Program Advisory Committee at Special Care and Career Services which provides supported employment and serves on the Self Advocate Council of the National Down Syndrome Congress.
Austin loves his church where he is active with the singles group and sings in the choir. Austin works full time at the law offices of Baker Botts in Dallas and lives on his own in his duplex which is a block from his church, his bank, Blockbuster, the grocery store, several restaurants, and Marble Slab.
Work Experience in Dallas TX
Baker Botts law firm (Aug 2007 to present)
- Delivers mail to six floors of offices at least twice a day
DocuCorp International, (2000 to Aug 2007)
(Company was bought by Skywire and moved out of the county)
- Responsible for distribution of mail to 200+ employees
- Prepare, address, and mail packages of software to customers
- Input data of completed orders
Braum’s Ice Cream Store, 1998 to 2000 (part-time)
- Responsible for completing food orders of various ice cream dishes and beverages
- Greeted all customers and conducted customer area clean up
- Richland College, 1998-2000
- Lake Highland High School, Graduated 1998
- Serves on Program Advisory Committee at Special Care and Career Services
- Serves on National Down Syndrome Congress Self-advocate Council
- Served on Board of Trustees of the Down Syndrome Guild of Dallas 2004
- Served on Board of Trustees of the National Down Syndrome Congress 2001-2003
Awards and Accomplishments
- Chosen as Outstanding Dallas Self-advocate, Dallas Mayor’s Committee, 2003
- Selected by peers to be Emcee for LHHS Senior Show, 1998
- Attained Eagle Scout rank, 1996
Skills and Interests
- Actor: Performed in over 20 plays and musicals in the greater Dallas community
- Speaker: Addressed large audiences at numerous organizations across the country about Down Syndrome including keynote speaker twice at the National Down Syndrome Congress and once the annual meeting of the Down Syndrome Association of Central Florida. He was keynote speaker at the Richardson Independent School District Employer Recognition Luncheon for employers of people with disabilities.
- Artist: Participated in one-man art show at Borders Books 2001, sold numerous commissioned prints to individual buyers and an Atlanta-based company as well as, designed commissioned seasonal greeting cards for several organizations
- Enjoys dancing and racquet ball
- Uses Quicken to record personal finances